Wednesday, March 01, 2017

Just a perfect day... or two... Buso Carnival - Let's chase away winter



"Busó-walking" is a traditional festivity that has been inscribed on the Representative List of Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity of the UNESCO in 2009. Hungaricum since 2012. 

Locals explain the Carnival with two related but different legends:

According to the most popular legend, during the Ottoman times of the territory people from Mohács fled the town, and started living in the nearby swamps and woods to avoid Ottoman (Turkish) troops. One night, while they were sitting and talking around the fire, an old Sokac man appeared suddenly from nowhere, and said to them: 
"Don't be afraid, your lives will soon turn to good and you'll return to your homes. Until that time, prepare for the battle, carve various weapons and scary masks for yourselves, and wait for a stormy night when a masked knight will come to you." He disappeared as suddenly as he arrived. The refugees followed his orders, and some days later, on a stormy night, the knight arrived. He ordered them to put on their masks and go back to Mohács, making as much noise as possible. They followed his lead. 
The Turks were so frightened by the noise, the masks, and the storm in the night, that they thought demons were attacking them, and they ran away from the town before sunrise.

In the older, less popular story, the Busós are scaring away not the Turks but Winter itself.


And that is why we were there and spent two ultra cheerful days with Juli and Noémi as fellow travellers at the southest Baranya county  of Hungary with the purpose of chasing away the winter. We did not have the chance to be prepared for the weekend well in advance.  As it was quite spontaneous, it was hard to find accomodation on the previous day because Mohács attracts visitors from all over the world. What we finally found was the two last free room in a wonderful place named Szálka. 40 min drive to Mohács that is worth every miles. Picturesque location, big fishing lake, swans, great opportunities for hiking and SILENCE.

The silence was unbelievable in the evening. When I opened the window, I hardly believed my ears. Did I become deaf? Dio I hear well that I hear nothing? Is it real? I just pricked my ears and no niose. Really nothing. I don't remember if I ever heard such silence. This made me to make a night walk inside the village after the awesome dinner. I felt that I need to stop again and again not to disturb the beautiful silence by my steps and just enjoy the noiseless peace.


Perfect contrast with Mohács where loud festive folk music, parades, dancing, Busós in traditional masquerade, cow bells, clappers meet with noisy success. For me, the event means hilarious humour with a little bit of thrill and joshing. The city was fully filled with masked Busós who did not miss to smoke the girls, to present with a huge muttony hug, to pose readily, to take anybody to dance, to rumple in a friendly way. I was wearing my biggest smile all day long. :-)


We scheduled other kind of engagement to make the children extremely happy and visited the thermal spa in Siklós. Perfect way for recharging and spending time with. Not the 6-day event but the weekend was closed with the gigantic burning bonfire (and a tasty gyros).  


0 comments: