Tuesday, July 07, 2015

Know Your Limits: Spirit of Balaton

Cycling fully round Lake Balaton within a day means 220 km.
Cycling fully round Lake Balaton within a day was on my wish list.
Cycling fully round Lake Balaton within a day was a reason to get a super bike.
Cycling fully round Lake Balaton within a day was a great accomplishment.

In detail:
Once upon a time there was a tour about accomplishment and experience let’s call it Spirit of Balaton. My friends invited me to take part in it. It is held on the first Saturday of every July. I got up so early (2:30 AM)  to join and not to miss the start from Balatonkenese at 5:45 AM on Saturday. The plan was to move forward as far as we can before the heat comes. We started at the South lakeside which is plain and there was no need to swift gear at all.
Previous day I got my loan bike from one of my friend who's got a shop specializing in good quality bicycles. I knew well that a simple urban bike (the one I currently have) is not suitable for such a tour, so I wanted him to renew my ancient MB that wasn’t in use in the last 20 years or so. Once he saw it, he stroke his head saying „Oh my gosh, I’d rather give you a bike instead.” Offer accepted immediately. At that time I did not suspect yet that the tour would be a definite event of my life – thanks to Csabi and his trekking type bike. I experienced such an amazing feeling riding on it like never before. I was flying on its 28” wheels with its lightweight framework. I thought the world is mine and could keep moving till anytime and till anywhere, even up to Mt Everest. And this is not an accident. Csabi made a tour riding this bike even till Copenhagen, Denmark which is around 1 400 km far by car from Budapest and I guess it is much more by bike.  

The truth is that I simply fall in love with the bike and I want to have it. New perspectives, new life awareness opened with the try of it. I enjoyed every minute of the tour, although I carried out the second part of it on my own. My fellow-travellers gave up and decided to go back by train from half way. Actually, we still remained three of us: the road, the bike and me. As for me, there was no doubt to continue, I was so determined. We decoupled at 4 PM after 108 km and then I rode through the rolling North bank alone, putting even the boys to shame with my speed and steadiness. Incredible view welcomed me on the North. Hungarian grey cattles grazed next to the path, I spiralled among vines, found number of cosy vineries, wine-growings, wine terraces, wine houses, wine gardens, wine cellars and the sun started to go down slowly, goldenly. I finished by 11 PM! What a joy and what a proud! Thanks God, everything went so smooth although I had neither map, nor professional equipments (like eg.  spongy underwear). My flip-flop was the most extreme belonging. :-)

Cycling fully round Lake Balaton within a day gives the spirit to move on with the greatest energy ever in the everydays.

0 comments: